In spite of numerous controversial research, so far, soybeans are proven to provide a lot of nutrients and be safe to the human body of both genders.
Therefore, whether you are men or women, soy protein powder is worth using without worries.
In this article, let’s explore useful information about soy protein powders as well as find out the best product to use!
Can you build muscle with soy protein?
The answer is yes. Still, soy protein is not the most effective type of protein for bodybuilding.
Unlike a majority of plant-based proteins, soy protein has 100% protein in its structure. That said, it consists of the important amino acids that the human body cannot generate by itself but have to fetch from food.
- Why Is The Best Egg White Protein Powder So Famous Nowadays?
- Which Is The Best Vanilla Protein Powder?
- 7 Best Non Dairy Vegan Plant Based Protein Powder Products You Need to Know
- WHICH IS THE BEST PROTEIN POWDER FOR MUSCLE GAIN? A BUYING GUIDE
- Secrets Of 8 Best Tasting Protein Powder That You Desire To Know
In spite of the difference in the role of each amino acid in muscle protein synthesis, BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) play the most crucial role.
In this case, when it comes to the amount of BCAAs, soy protein is in the middle between whey and casein proteins.
In fact, whey protein is the best, and soy protein is only ranked second. Fortunately, several studies indicate that the combination of soy and other proteins, such as dairy protein can build your muscles better than any kind of protein.
To sum up, if you only use soy protein alone, the effectiveness is good but inferior to whey protein. In case you want to build muscles quickly, let’s try using it together with another suitable protein.
Best soy protein powder
1.NaturesPlus SPIRU-TEIN Shake – model number: B01MQ09ICX
If you are seeking for a quick meal alternative, here it is. Besides non-fermented and fermented soy protein, the Natures Plus protein-rich formula consists of pea and rice protein, multiple types of vitamins, important minerals, enzymes, spirulina, bee pollen, and many more nutrients.
Thanks to its versatile vanilla flavor, you can blend the powder with a wide range of various food to have tasty treats.
Without any fat, SPIRU-TEIN brings about an excellent combination of plant-based protein and numerous nutrients for gaining muscles and speeding up weight loss.
Unlike many other products, you should serve this soy protein powder with cold water or milk for the best result.
- Provide up to three types of proteins (soy, rice, and pea)
- Non-GMO soy
- Supply a sufficient amount of all significant vitamins
- Extra dietary minerals and enzymes
- Low-calorie full meal
- Well-known brand
- The proportion of protein is quite low compared to carbs, so it is not really ideal for weight loss.
2. BlendItUp Organic Vegan Protein Powder
Like its brand name, the protein powder blends up very well and hardly get a chalky texture and grit like other products. As it gets its subtle sweet taste from stevia and is unflavored, we think you should mix the powder with types of fruit as labeled on the box.
Besides, the manufacturer also suggests adding the powder to other beverages, soups, and cakes to complete a meal, so you can try. We think it is okay with the powder’s mild and natural vanilla flavor.
This powder can always make balanced smoothies with complete protein, healthy fats, and complicated carbs. Your health can significantly benefit from necessary amino acids, probiotics, extra vitamins, as well as nutrients in the treat.
All of the included protein is extracted from organic soybeans and combined with quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat, Chia seeds, and millet, all of which are perfect materials for bodybuilding.
Have a serving as a snack, and you can feel full very quickly for a long time. Therefore, you can lose weight safely and take training activities such as Yoga and martial arts effectively.
- Contain essential amino acids and probiotics
- Rich protein content
- A lot of vitamins and nutrients
- Boost your immune system
- Possible stomach upset and nausea
- Boring taste to some people
3. Nature’s Way Soy Protein Shake – model number: 15390
This unique shake is an innovative meal substitute to meet your daily protein requirements, recover muscle, and create a healthy lifestyle.
The product is totally safe for users with its natural flavors, organic stevia, honey powder, 100% vegan, 0% gluten, 0% additives, 0% dairy and wheat, as well as low levels of fat and sugar.
Although each serving only includes 15 grams of protein, it also supplies fiber in addition to nearly 20 vitamins and minerals. Hence, it is still the right choice for those who want to improve their overall health, including heart, muscle, tissue, hair, skin, and nails.
- Rich in nutrients, types of protein, vitamins, minerals, and so on
- No artificial sweetener or ingredient
- Support overall healthiness.
- Not tasty and may leave a strong aftertaste
- Slightly chalky texture
- Possible headache
4. NOW Sports Soy Protein Isolate Powder – model number: LA-FU
Living as a vegetarian costs you a lot of money? Now Sports can save you several dollars on your lean muscle building plan with their awesome soy protein powder.
The product is made up of 90% soy protein isolate and essential amino acids, which makes it a perfect drink for a tiring workout session at the fitness center.
Additionally, there is no carb for people who are meticulous about these macros!
The plain ingredients are absolute non-GMO soy protein isolate and free from additives so that consumers can take this every day to improve their strength.
- Inexpensive yet good-quality
- Premium-quality complete protein
- Rich amino acids profile
- No carb and sugar, no artificial sweeteners, GMO-free, non-steroid
- Aid lean muscle building and recovery
- Versatile to mix with different foods
- Hard to dissolve
- Chalky and uncomfortable flavor
5. Bulksupplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder
As the top quality plant-based protein powder in the market at present, Bulksupplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder is the foremost substitute to whey protein.
According to studies, soy protein isolate is extracted directly from soybean trees. Then, the percentage of 90% pure soy protein isolate (27g of protein per 30g serving) existing in the powder is highly beneficial to anybody.
Its amount of amino acid features a remarkably high dose of glutamine and arginine so it can boost your metabolism and muscle formation processes effectively.
Furthermore, there are up to 258mg of calcium in its ingredient, which is conducive to good bone health.
With solely 112 calories and under 1g of fat per spoon, this vegetarian product is appropriate to optimize lean mass while does not add increase the fat.
You will not have to pay much for such a fantastic soy protein powder since no flavor is added, and the packaging is slim to reduce the expense of the product. Although it may look too plain and feel tasteless, the quality of the powder inside is not to be underestimated.
- 90% pure protein profile
- Have rich amino acid content
- No additive or preservative, carb or sugar
- Great mixability for shakes and beverages
- Support lean body mass while shredding fat simultaneously
- Develop stronger bone
- Require to mix thoroughly
6. Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Soy Protein Powder – model number: 039978002525
Despite no flashy marketing, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-free Soy Protein Powder is very popular all over the world owing to its reasonable price and pure ingredient. Indeed, its manufacturer specializes in types of flours, grains, and many other baking products.
This one-ingredient powder contains nothing else but isolated soy protein powder. As tested, there is no gluten, no sweetener, no animal, no dairy, or any flavorings. Therefore, you don’t need to be afraid of harmful artificial chemicals in this soy protein shake.
Last but not least, this natural vegan supplement contains up to 17g of pure protein per serving, which is very favorable for building the muscle of both vegans and non-vegans.
- Immediately dissolve in liquids and versatile to mix
- Reputable brand
- High value for the price
- No carb, no sugar, no dairy, gluten-free
- Quick energy supply
- Support lean muscle growth
- Overpowering taste for some people
- Small serving size
- Gritty texture
- Inferior protein content compared with other brands
What to consider when buying a soy protein powder?
When it comes to buying protein powder, there are a lot of things that you need to consider. Below are the most critical factors you need to assess in a soy protein powder product:
- The amount of protein: Of course, we buy protein powder mainly for protein, and every product features a different protein content, usually around 20 grams each serving.
When you compare several products, pay attention to the quantity of protein and size of each serving. Besides, you should also notice that some products have a lower amount of protein just due to their smaller serving sizes.
- Ingredients: Apart from protein, we prefer products with numerous nutrients, too. Does it solely contain soy protein or other bonus ingredients? What is the form of soy protein? (concentrate, isolate, or another form).
Moreover, you ought to check if there are any ingredients that you are allergic to, or you merely dislike them – for instance, artificial sweeteners/flavorings, GMO substances, and so on.
- Brand reputation: Sometimes, this is even the first factor to consider. In our above list, we only suggest the best soy protein powders by reputable manufacturers.
Nonetheless, if you want to try other products instead of just following our recommendations, make sure to check the reputation of the producers.
- Flavor: It must be challenging to know precisely how a soy protein powder tastes before you try it by yourself. Nevertheless, you can pick your favorite scent, such as chocolate, vanilla, fruit, etc.
Or else, you can take a look at the comments of previous consumers to know how they describe the product savor. If you want something absolutely safe, purchase unflavored soy protein powder and mix it with your favorite flavor later.
Our best choice
We have pointed out the six best soy protein powders in the current market. So which of them is the best of the best? The answer is our fifth product – Bulksupplements Soy Protein Isolate Powder.
Thanks to the maximum simplification of flavor and packaging, the product is very cheap in comparison with similar products. Moreover, the content and quality of the nutrients and proteins in it is superior. All of them are natural, rich, and safe for the human body.
With this powder, you can lose weight, build muscle, strengthen bones, and improve many general body functions.
The fact that it is so bland is sometimes good for you because you can add the powder to other dishes such as baked pies, smoothies, or blend your favorite flavors like vanilla, chocolate, juice, almond, and so on.
FAQs on soy protein
How much is soy protein per day safe?
According to clinical and epidemiological researches, the recommended daily intake of soy protein for adults is approx 30 grams or three servings of soy foods.
In other words, you should drink from one to three medium cups of soy protein powder per day but not more.
Indeed, the harms of soy to both men and women are not proven yet. Studies just show the possible unsafety in some cases instead of definite results.
Nonetheless, children, especially infants and people who are allergic to soy, had better look for other substitutes for soy protein.
What are the side effects of soy protein?
As we said above, the side effects of soy protein are rare and unlikely to happen. However, there have been reports about a few cases with the following possible side effects, which may be related to too much soy consumption:
- Uncomfortable stomach and intestinal symptoms like bloating, nausea, or constipation
- Other allergies such as itching, rash, and even anaphylaxis
- Hypothyroidism (especially iodine-deficient patients)
- Unusual tissue development in the uterus of females
- Affected development of infants
- Hay fever (allergic rhinitis)
- Breast cancer
- Cystic fibrosis
- Diabetes (for diabetes who are controlling blood sugar by medicine)
- Endometrial cancer
- Kidney stones and kidney failure
- Urinary bladder cancer
Most soy protein consumers find it beneficial to their health at a reasonable intake. Hence, you may try to decrease or stop consuming soy protein if you feel abnormal reactions in your body.
Is soy protein powder safe during pregnancy?
Apart from being high in aluminum, soy is assumed to reduce protein digestion and mineral absorption. Furthermore, most current soy is genetically modified and high in pesticide residues. Therefore, unless you can find 100% organic soy protein, you ought to avoid them during your pregnancy.
Pregnant women should avoid any potential harm to both the mother and the baby, regardless of their possibility to happen.
Although there may be much controversy over the benefits and drawbacks of soy, we can believe more in their advantages as millions of people are still enjoying it every day.
There are very few cases of undesirable effects, and the majority of them are also sensitive subjects or those using overdose.
You can try the best options we have recommended about soy protein powder as above. Of course, let’s just use them in moderate doses advised by nutritionists.
Thank you for reading!